Lens calibration

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
keiththom Senior Member • Posts: 1,123
Lens calibration

I've never attempted to calibrate any lens I've ever used or felt the need to do so. However, I'm missing a lot of shots lately with my D810 and Nikon 105 1.4 stopped down with it's short dof. And that on a sturdy tripod, and especially in low light.

So - I ordered a LensAlign MkII with software and will see if that helps. How many here have used Lens Align? and did it help? Any tips for setting up and using this tool?

One last question: Does thru the viewfinder and live view behave the same. That is, when the lens is properly calibrated, will both methods of dialing in focus behave the same? Or does the camera use different mechanisms for focus in live view than it does in the viewfinder?

I've heard mixed reviews on this software and tool regarding the difficulty of setting it up and performing it. I've heard a lot of comments about the instructions that come with it being poor.  So I've downloaded every instruction video I can find and will go thru them before starting.

Thanks for any tips you can provide !

keiththom's gear list:keiththom's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow