What lenses are in your kit?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Austin7642 Regular Member • Posts: 213
What lenses are in your kit?

I am wondering if anyone else has been thru as many lenses as I have trying to fine tune their lens kit as I have without having too many lenses in excess, or conversely, not enough lenses offering the range of versatility you want. Over the past year I've bought and sold a number of Canon's L lenses. I've learned reading reviews and doing your research on what prospective lenses you want to buy is one thing and actually using them and seeing how they fit in your personal style is another.

At the moment I have a 24-70mm II as my general zoom, a 35mm ii for low light/ night photography, a 100mm for macro and when I want a second larger apeture lens that isn't heavy, and lastly a 70-200mm II for events with a 2x extender for occasional wildlife. I have considered getting a 16-35mm f/4 for occasional landscapes and other WA use but can't seem to justify the purchase for landscapes when I already have a 24-70mm ii and a 35mm ii on hand. I have also considered buying the 100-400mm ii for its reach, but I definitely do not shoot wildlife or outdoor sports enough to justify that purchase either, and the 70-200mm is just so versatile in its use.

I shoot weddings and events as a second shooter and I have been thinking lately that if the 85mm f/1.4 is can replace the 70-200mm for low light, then I could go ahead and buy the 100-400mm II to replace it, but I haven't conclusively decided if that is such a good idea yet. Lastly, because I loved its bokeh, I've considered buying a 135mm L again to be a good second lens to match my 35mm or 24-70mm for general walkabouts, but its also heavier than the 100mm l and can't do macro, which I use for carrying nature shots. The So, I would only use it in more urban settings and it would still be heavier and limiting of my use of my 100mm l without offering much more for the price of its investment. I also don't like using extension tubs, either. The 70-200mm also does just about everything the 135mm L can do and more.

So, I am curious. After trial and error, what are the lens kits each of you have and why?

Austin7642's gear list:Austin7642's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow