Is this a real sign of change at Canon? Can we take Fujio Mitarai seriously? Locked

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
mikedemo Regular Member • Posts: 163
Is this a real sign of change at Canon? Can we take Fujio Mitarai seriously?

This is not a bash Canon thread, so lets be mature about this topic. Anyways, I came across this article... see excerpt below in italics.

"Time to think outside the camera box, Canon chief argues

Fujio Mitarai wants new businesses to generate nearly one-third of sales...

...Q: What is the biggest issue currently facing Canon?

A: Our primary management goal this year is to raise our antennas high toward cutting-edge technology. It is on this point where we lag behind other companies. We will open up a research and development center in the U.S.'s Silicon Valley, where we will actively adopt new technology.

Q: What do you believe is imperative for today's corporation?

A: To read the trends of an era. Innovation is steadily advancing, and it has become difficult to put out products that are ahead of the competition, even if by just a little. This is now an era when latecomer manufacturers stand to gain. Compared with the past, even I feel mounting tensions.

To stay on top of and not lose against generational innovations, it is important to strengthen the financial structure. I believe that, as a manufacturer, it is essential to always maintain a strong financial house, creating conditions where you can invest in new things."

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Time-to-think-outside-the-camera-box-Canon-chief-argues?page=2

Is Canon finally seeing the shifting landscape? Why so long to acknowledge? I hope they will scrap any upcoming nonsensical offerings they had planned for 2018 and just focus on getting a modern camera by today's standard. I don't think its too late, even though the media and a lot of togs I interact with think it is.

Thoughts?

-- hide signature --

Composition > Megapixels

mikedemo's gear list:mikedemo's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
tko
osv
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow