Here I go again!

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
GeraldW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,147
Here I go again!

I was planning to get a Panasonic G85 and some lenses.  But instead I sat down and gave it some deep thought.  Like how does that fit with my FZ1000 and FZ200?  Well, it didn't very well; but I liked the idea of a weatherproof camera.  So, I thought about getting an FZ300; as it weatherproof and has most of advanced features of the FZ1000.

And then I thought, do I really need and FZ1000 if I have the FZ300?  So I ran a quicky experiment and photographed my large stuffed tiger mascot, Sher Khan, with the two cameras at ISO 200-1600.  It's not perfect; but it seems that the FZ200 at ISO 800 is pretty close to the FZ1000 at ISO 1600.  Only 1 stop with the FZ200 having a one stop faster lens.  Sure enough, the shutter speeds were the same.

So then I went to the Imaging Resources comparator and compared the FZ200 to the FZ300.  That showed me that the FZ300, at ISO of 400 and higher looks better than the FZ200.  Of course, both cameras are at their default settings; but even so, it does give me some promise of better performance from the FZ300.  And so I ordered one.

Looking ahead, what's next?  Obviously, there will be comparisons of the FZ300 against the FZ1000 and FZ200, and attempts to find the optimum settings for the FZ300.  And then?  Maybe a mirrorless camera.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Canon G7 X II
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow