Bizarre lens problem with A850

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Flat view
m.holmes Regular Member • Posts: 347
Bizarre lens problem with A850

Hi all,

this morning I took my old Sony A850 and (a recent addition to my arsenal) my Tamron 28-300, which -I admit- I rarely had time to use.

Well, after a while I noticed a weird problem. When I turn the camera off and on again, first, the lens "parks" by rotating all the way to the right (in other words: when the camera is off, the focus marker is to the left of infinity), but then, when the camera is turned on again, sometimes the focus is "stuck" (i.e. when half-pressing the shutter button, the AF "clicks" but doesn't move and I get no confirmation in the viewfinder); what's even weirder:

1) if I manually move the focus ring, DMF engages (I mean, I get no resistance from the motor) and then AF starts working normally again

2) the same issue happens if I manually rotate the focus ring all the way in the other direction: if I rotate it "too much", the lens is stuck until I rotate the ring back again.

Now the routine questions: (I'm afraid I kinda know the answer, but...)

1) Is this normal?

2) Can I do anything? e.g. cleaning the lens with a blower or cleaning the contacts

3) Assuming the previous answer is "no", do I want to do anything at all?

You all know better than me that sending a lens back for repair is a huge (as photographers say) "pain in the AF". This lens is under warranty, but I'd send it back only if there's some mild risk that pictures are compromised...

Thanks anyway,

Sony Alpha DSLR-A850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow