G85 eye sensor on...off...on....off...on...depletes battery in no time

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bjr72 New Member • Posts: 4
G85 eye sensor on...off...on....off...on...depletes battery in no time

I guess I was spoiled with my Nikon D300s and over 1000 shot battery life.

I read nearly every review of the G85 before I bought it, and I was aware of the not so stellar battery life,  hence I purchased 3 extra batteries for it when they were on sale at Henry's.

I'm a common sense kind of guy and it strikes me as extremely odd/annoying that I cannot completely DISABLE the eye sensor on the G85.  Why?  Because when I'm walking around I take a shot here, I take a shot there, maybe one shot every 10 minutes or so, depending on what I see, of course.  And guess where the camera HANGS while I walk?  Touching my chest.  The eye sensor keeps the LVF on all the time!  No wonder I had such poor battery life.

There SHOULD be an option on the custom menu to disable the eye sensor.  Options provided only allow AUTO, MON, or LVF.  That's it.  Called Panasonic just to be sure, and there is no option to disable the sensor.

We all know that screens take up the majority of power on phones and cameras, so this would be a worthwhile firmware addition.  Let ME hit the Fn5 button to MANUALLY turn on the LVF when I want to.  Costs me nothing to use my left hand to hit the Fn5 button to turn the LVF on myself.  That, I think, would help conserve the most battery power.

And yes, I know the 5 axis stabilization uses power as well, I just don't know how much.  Seems like it is always on as I can hear it.

I also looked in Economy mode, specifically AutoLVF/Monitor OFF setting to 1min, and sure enough it does shut off the eyecup display after 1 min with my finger over the eye sensor HOWEVER, any kind of movement (like dangling on my chest) will just turn the eyecup display right back on again.  So really the Economy mode features do not really save any battery at all during practical use, unless you put the camera on a tabletop and walk away.

Anyone else think we should ask for a feature to disable the eye sensor completely?  Kind of like manual transmission compared to automatic.  I'm sure it is easy to implement.

Nikon D300S Panasonic G85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow