Around the world with camera and one backpack?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bogibbes Forum Member • Posts: 94
Around the world with camera and one backpack?

I recently finished a six month long trip where I traveled through France, Italy, Morocco, and Nepal. It was an absolutely incredible trip; I saw many amazing sights and experienced vastly different cultures along the way. My girlfriend and I traveled fairly light (one 60L bag and one day pack each) and brought enough clothing and equipment to cover situations ranging from camel rides through the desert and trekking in the Himalaya. One of the big take-aways from our trip, however, that less stuff is almost always better. We certainly had room to downsize and we began thinking about our next long-term trip and how we would pack differently, aiming to only carry one 40-50L backpack, something that could still be considered carry-on.

At the time of that trip, my camera equipment consisted of a Panasonic LX10 (point and shoot) and a very small and super cheap pocket tripod. Very easy to pack and took up practically no space. Since we've been home I've upgraded my camera kit to a Fuji X-T2 and a few lenses and a real tripod.

Here's the question to all the travelers out there: Is there anyone out there who travels out of one backpack and still manages to bring their camera and a few lenses? Are you just shoving everything into a hiking backpack or is there a camera bag that I'm unaware of that is perfect for this type of situation? Something that would hold a small body and a few lenses yet still have room for clothes and everyday life items?

I want to travel with my nicer, more capable camera kit but would love to fit everything needed for long-term travel into one bag. Am I crazy? Unrealistic?

Looking forward to the suggestions, thanks!

Bogibbes's gear list:Bogibbes's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Fujifilm X-T2 Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +1 more
Fujifilm X-T2 Panasonic LX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow