Best path for TTL flash with D850 and wireless...?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SK Regular Member • Posts: 238
Best path for TTL flash with D850 and wireless...?

Just curious as a new D850 owner (moving from 810) and no longer having a pop up flash to fire a speedlight off camera - what are best TTL solutions?  To date I have been using pop up flash in commander mode  on d810 to fire a sb900  and maybe even my old sb 600 if I want two off camera lights.

Now with D850, I get that you can spend $600 for a SB5000 and then $150 for the two Nikon dongles to transmit from the camera to the flash....but that seems  like a lot for an amateur that wants to fire off camera flash in TTL.  Makes me wonder why that capability isn't built into a new state of the art camera like the d850 to avoid the $150 and stuff hanging from the camera.

Other options???...one thats even more pricey I guess - get a Profoto A1 and their remote...but then you are in $1400 total for one off camera firing TTL flash.  Cool but pricey. I guess a third option would be buying a few of the pocket wizard triggers that work with TTL...of course, I own the non TTL version.

So any other options to consider?  And final question - would the firing of the SB5000 be able to trigger older flashes like the sb900 by the old CLS?  thinking "no" because the commander mode on the d850 wouldn't recognize the old sb900.

thanks for any thoughts

SK's gear list:SK's gear list
Sony RX100 V Nikon Df Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +15 more
Nikon D810 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SK
SK
kli
SK
kli
kli
kli
kli
SK
kli
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow