D750 versus D800

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
starbase218 Regular Member • Posts: 364
D750 versus D800

So I'm kind of cheap and am thinking of fullframe (I have a D7100 now). I was thinking of getting a used D750 because of the tilt screen. But used D800s seem to really have come down in price. It has no tilt screen, but the pro layout and better build might make up for that. And the AF area is larger.

But I see a few downsides too: from what I've read, high ISO on the D800 is not as good as on the D750, and AF might be worse too. And it's bigger and heavier (not really a fan of that). It's also slower at 4 fps. I could probably live with that though, as it goes up to 6 fps in crop mode, and you still get around 16MP that way.

In terms of noise and AF, though, is the D750 that much better? Are there any skeletons in te closet like noise banding (my D7100 sometimes has that if I push the shadows too far) or problematic AF acquisition in low light? Thanks!

starbase218's gear list:starbase218's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +3 more
Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow