Sigma 150-600 sport with/without TC examples

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MOD Kendall Helmstetter Gelner Forum Pro • Posts: 20,128
Sigma 150-600 sport with/without TC examples

I shot this series in response to a question from a Sigma Lens group on Facebook, but I thought people here might find this useful as well - it's a series of test shots from the 150-600 Sport, on and off tripod, with and without TC, at three focal lengths (150/300/600).

The filenames for each image indicate if the TC was on, if it was on a tripod (TRI) or handheld, and the effective focal length (TC shots were also 150/300/600 but effective focal length is of course longer).

I was pretty impressed with how well the TC worked, but it is worth noting the f-stop you can shoot at is raised quite a bit even with the 1.4x TC - the lens is normally f/5 to f/6.3, with the TC on you are shooting f/7 to f/9 at a minimum.

You can also see that I was not having a good hand-holding day as the quality was all over the map.  One other aspect of having the camera move a lot handheld at longer focal lengths is it can make focus miss more often, as you can see in a few results.

The S50_100 file at the end is from the 50-100 which I just threw in as a sort of simple comparison.

Dropbox Folder with in-camera JPG's here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/adlua4q7huee7z4/AABpaId_hCNA5qf5jHcpJRmpa?dl=0

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow