What would you take? Good fuji travel kit?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ricepaper New Member • Posts: 7
What would you take? Good fuji travel kit?

Greetings Fuji users,

In a couple of weeks I'll be heading to the States for my first US trip. I have been having trouble deciding on what lenses to take with me as I will be seeing a variety of sights on my trip including the streets of LA, San Diego, Phoenix, Vegas and San Fran, as well as landscapes like the desert, Grand Canyon and snowy Lake Tahoe.

The lenses I currently have to go along with my X-Pro 2 are:

• Fuji 16-55mm f/2.8
  • Fuji 35 mm f/2
  • Fuji 56mm f/1.2
  • Samyang 12mm f/2.8
  • With enough money to get either the 23mm f/2 or the 27mm f/2.8 before I go

My problem is that I hate traveling with a lot of gear so bringing 1 or 2 lenses is more or less the ideal solution. Given that I am going between street and landscape environments, I initially thought that perhaps the best solution would be to bring just the 16-55 as it can cover all bases, and in addition is weather sealed meaning I would be comfortable using it in the snow at Lake Tahoe. However I have reservations about bringing that lens as my lack of filters make me wonder whether I can do places like the Grand Canyon justice. It would be inconvenient to bring a tripod and heavy lens if not having lens filters will hinder my results to the point that it’s not worth the trouble.

So instead I considered that maybe it would be better to get the 23mm f/2 or 27mm f/2.8, and then bring the 16, 35 or 56 as a secondary, and leave the tripod and rest of the kit at home. At the very least, if I favor a lighter setup, I’ll feel more comfortable walking around the cities for a long time instead of getting tired lugging a bigger lens like the 16-55. As well, if I go light I can ditch the tacky and sometimes inconvenient camera backpack as a small setup I can wear around my neck all day.

So Fuji users, given the combination of lenses that I have, what would you take with you if you were doing a West coast US trip? I find that comfort allows me to shoot more and want to shoot, but how about you? Do you think it’s worth covering all bases and making sure you are able to capture anything you’re presented with? I would love to hear everyone’s thoughts

Kind regards

Fujifilm X-Pro2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow