The 24-105 may be just what I need for my perfect travel bag

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gary stepic
gary stepic Veteran Member • Posts: 4,852
The 24-105 may be just what I need for my perfect travel bag

It is obvious we all have different solutions for what we like to take when traveling. I think many of us have gone from a DSLR system to a mirrorless system to cut back on the weight we travel with. Yet, high quality lenses for these systems are just as large or heavy as the lenses for a DSLR system.

Non the less I am extremely happy about the 24-105 because it is still a smaller set up then my 24-70 Canon and 5DM4 (which I am selling) with a little bit more useful range. It boils down to how the photos will be used, will they be sold or just for our own personal use. For me my photos will be for personal use and if shared i will do a travel blog or use social media, which a phone sometimes is good enough.  I am convinced the 24-105 on a a7rii will produce high quality large prints, especially if shooting stopped down some as we typically will do for landscapes, that will rival anything shot with a prime. Maybe we can tell differences when viewing 100% on a screen or looking up close at a print, but I can bet anything most non photographers would never be able to tell the difference. I only do canvas prints which is not as detail oriented anyway.

I hate changing lenses so I always like having another body and for me the a6300 is the perfect companion camera. I will keep the 10-18 on it for the ultra wide shots I have no intention of making large prints of (I think the a6300 will do just fine for prints up to 30x20). If there is a scene that requires a wide angle of view and is worthy of a large print then I will stich shots together using the 24-105. I have a MeFoto table top that extends high enough to use for landscapes if I am sitting down. It folds to less than eight inches so fits in my bag. Probably a future lens will be the 70-300. I will most likely always use it on the a6300 as it extends the reach and rarely is anything I shoot with a telephoto something I want to make a large print of.

Now ask me again in another year I may have a totally different perfect kit, but I hope this one keeps me happy for awhile.

Gary

gary stepic's gear list:gary stepic's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony Alpha a7R III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +4 more
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow