Beyond the GH5 and G9

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NCV
NCV Veteran Member • Posts: 7,326
Beyond the GH5 and G9

I had a look at Hogans latest musings on the state of the camera industry. Reading a couple of articles some idle thoughts occurred connected to some other things I have come across these days.

Flipping mirror OVF ILC cameras continue to decline in sales and thus popularity. Mirrorless seem to have kept steady. These statistics come as no surprise. We are all upgrading less frequently and more and more people are content to use a cell phone.

What I found interesting was his musings on Nikon and mirrorless. It seems they are in a difficult position. They must either keep an old mount and work around its disadvantages, or if they use a new mount they will have to develop lenses for it. To complicate matters they must decide between FF and APS. It seems indecision reigns supreme at Nikon. I suppose Canon has similar problems.

At least the 4/3 to M43 clean break occurred on a financially failing system with a small user base. It also occurred in “happier times”.

Unconnected but connected I was interested to read about Panasonic who seem to be making a big push for the Tokyo Olympics where they are a big sponsor.

We have seen a couple of very powerful cameras coming from Panasonic in the GH5 and G9. They want to have a 8K camera for 2020. The Pro capture feature is something that for some situations is very interesting. Those 14 frames remove viewfinder and reaction lag; I have taken a picture before I have pressed the shutter. The implications for sport and action photography are huge. If only I had had that when I did Ballet photography to increase the peak moment capture rate! Throw in some autofocus advances and Panasonic could have some very interesting tools for shooting sport. WiFi connection will also be important.

As the old school seem to be floundering under the weight of their legacy systems, could we be seeing a change of the guard for the sports camera of choice at the top end?  We all know the punters are drawn to buy the cameras the "pros" use.

Just some idle musings.

-- hide signature --
 NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow