WiFi too close to printer causes problem

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
soloryb Senior Member • Posts: 2,321
WiFi too close to printer causes problem

I've never even imagined that having a printer too close to a wifi router could cause slow-down issues, but it's true.

I have a monster Linksys EA9500 wifi router and several wireless printers, including a Canon Pro 1000. After experiencing issues with very slow printing of rather large raw photos to my Pro 1000, I finally decided to do some serious troubleshooting and find out what could be slowing things down so much. One thing I noticed from the Linksys smart wifi site is that the signal from the router to the printer was displaying a weak signal strength. I called Canon and established that nothing was wrong with the printer but the tech did mention that if the wifi signal was less than half strength, there could be a slow down for very large photo image printing. Then I called Linksys and verified that if the wifi router is too close to a device, there could be a diminution of signal strength. Does not seem logical, does it?

Two of my printers are located right next to the wifi router. Both were showing weak signal strengths, but it really only mattered for the Pro 1000 since it has to deal with a heavy data transfer load. The third printer is located several feet away from the router and showed a strong signal strength.

I moved the Pro 1000 several feet away from the wifi router and the signal strength went up to 100%.

Who'd a thunk?

soloryb

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow