Which apps benefit from 4 cores?

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
Peter in Milton Regular Member • Posts: 221
Re: Which apps benefit from 4 cores?

strawbale wrote:

Peter in Milton wrote:

strawbale wrote:

Looking into a (probably used) replacement for my aging 2007 MBP, I'm interested to find out which apps nowadays benefit from 4 cores, like Helicon Focus.

If you are upgrading from anything 2007, you are going to see a big improvement if you buy anything from say 2015 on. What you are asking is "How useful is 4 cores vs 2 cores?"

I use a MB Air from 2012 (soon to get replaced) and a 2014 Mini with i7 CPU, max SSD, and max RAM. The mini drives an NEC 27" display, a Mac 23" display, 4 external HDDs, a Wacom tablet, and multiple printers and scanners. I plan to replace it at the end of this year.

I believe the order of preference for still photography apps is:

1. Adequate internal SSD (500 GB, and no fusion)

2. Adequate RAM (16 GB)

3. Adequate interfaces (at least USB 3) to access files on external HDDs.

4. Hyperthreading and multiple cores. (2, but 4 is better)

5. Graphics card.

In other words, I would only go for the 4 core machine after the previous 3 were covered. having said that, I do think 4 cores is worthwhile if budget allows. I find that my dual core Mini is fine for most things, but does suffer when injesting files and converting to DNG, and building previews for 1000+ files. The CPU will show about 350% usage (for two cores). For most things it makes very little difference. Likewise, high performance graphics makes a difference rarely on still photography apps.

A lot depends on whether you need portability at all. In which case go for a recent 13" MBP. I doubt you would regret anything.

What would you replace the MM with by the end of this year, if there'd be no new MM by then?

Good question!  Answer is: If that's the case, I won't!

I am hoping that either a new Mini comes out at the year end or a Mac Pro desk top is introduced with a lower end spec that meets my needs without buying a lot of stuff I don't need.  (According to tests I have read the new iMac Pro is of very questionable value for still photographers (probably none at all) over the 2017 iMac 5K, in spite of having 8 cores.  It makes no difference in real world use.  Neither does the higher powered graphics card.)  You really need to be doing things other than photography to justify the extra hardware.

Peter in Milton's gear list:Peter in Milton's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Olympus OM-D E-M5 Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 II Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow