Bargain Olympus 75mm f/1.8

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kharan
Kharan Senior Member • Posts: 1,414
Bargain Olympus 75mm f/1.8

So, I finally bought a high-end portrait lens, which isn't something I ever thought I'd do. I found an Olympus/Sigma 75mm f/1.8 for $250, E-P2 camera included, and I couldn't let it pass.

The lens is certainly used, and it shows, but the body and glass are in good shape - it's the silver Vello hood that absorbed most of the abuse, as it's quite battered. I'm surprised at the weight, considering how small the lens is - it's not much larger than my Panasonic 25mm f/1.7, but it weighs at least twice as much.

What surprised me more were both the thin DoF, and extremely quick AF motor - that thing can rack over the whole range, back and forth, in less than a second! I find it curious that no one seems to talk about this, since most Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Fuji and Sony portrait primes get the shaft when it comes to AF speed (they're probably not intended or expected to be speed demons). But the Olympus truly has sports-class AF.

I fail to see why or how would anyone need a thinner DoF than what this lens offers. Sure, I understand the case for a 24mm f/1.4 lens to achieve similar defocus with a wider angle of view, but something like the Nikon 105mm f/1.4 appears simply unusable (wide open) to me.

Anyway, I just wanted to gloat about my find And also ask other owners of the lens how they deal with the frustrating tendency of CDAF to choose the more distant target. On my E-PL5, the AF point is quite large, and if there are two eyes in the box, for instance, it'll invariably focus on the more distant one. Getting shots of flowers is quite hard too, as again, the camera prefers to shift the focal plane further away from itself. Is there any simple workaround for this?

I'll leave you some photos of my test run yesterday. Grand works of art they're not, but they do well to showcase what a strong performer the 75mm f/1.8 is. Please view them in full size, as DPR forums' compression makes the thumbnails look much softer than they really are.

-- hide signature --

"Chase the light around the world
I want to look at life
In the available light" - Rush, 'Available Light'

Kharan's gear list:Kharan's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic G85 Sony a6500 +10 more
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow