PowerShot G1X III Lens Hood (LH-DC110)

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,153
PowerShot G1X III Lens Hood (LH-DC110)

After about a week with this guy, I can finally report on him with confidence.

Largely positive. It's better then the stock lens cap which I leave the lens hood on 24x7 as protection of the front lens element, that way I don't have to keep taking the cap on and off to ensure protection.

For those of you who already have a filter protection, you're covered too obviously.

Some time ago I did some testing with various filters and discovered to no surprise that I'm a purist; I don't like things that muck with my optical performance in any way shape or form. Thus I turn to hoods to protect my front lens element ever since vs other folks use filters. Both do the job, but I'm happy to report it's a happily ever after for me with the hood too on the G1X III, as my first impression was actually negative, but a week later, it's positive. And it's not a trying to convince myself positive, it's a I've forgotten what it's like to take the cap on and off, and forgot the lens hood is there most of the time, except that it changes the appearance of the camera when it's sitting somewhere in my house when I'm not shooting with it.

It's knocked me a couple times more btw, and my kids once while buckling them into car seats, but other than that first good knock I had the first day as it's solid aluminum, it's not a big deal after all. Other than that, no complaints.

I think Canon could've done plastic on it, and it'd hurt a little less when you get hit with it. But they probably did the aluminum for reinforcement of the lens mount, if I were to guess, or maybe to give it a more pro-like appearance/touch.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow