1/16/18 - Low Sun to Sunset: Wetlands BIFs

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
Flat view
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 29,055
1/16/18 - Low Sun to Sunset: Wetlands BIFs

Picking up from my last wildlife and bird thread, which had a wide assortment of birds, reptiles, bugs, and BIFs, this post has mostly BIFs plus a few nesting birds mixed in.  This is a continuation of the last thread where I was shooting with Snapa from these boards - last thread was what we shot together, while this thread picks up with what I shot the rest of that same busy day, after Snapa left for home.  It gets really busy in the wetlands as sunset approaches, and becomes especially a BIF-bonanza.

The following shots are starting with low afternoon light and blue skies around 3:30 and working into the golden hour and sunset around 5:30pm, all on December 16th.

All shots taken with the A6300 and FE100-400mm combo, handheld, and all posted at 1400 pixels on the long side if you click the originals:

Starting with an always circling, always fishing, osprey, in perfectly clear skies overhead

One of the few non-BIFs in this series - a pair of nesting great blue herons, being romantic

Great big wood stork flying straight on, about to make a pass over my position

An ibis who had just jumped up out of the water and headed for a nearby tree

One more non-BIF - a lovely female anhinga showing some of her mating colors and display - the white feathers lining the neck and the green color around the eyes - in some nice golden light

An ibis, banking around for final approach

High up and off in the distance, I noticed this red-shouldered hawk cruising by

He unexpectedly turned, and though still high up, came in my direction for a closer shot - golden light of the setting sun hitting the side away from me

While shooting a black-bellied whistling duck in flight, another flew a little faster and came between me and my original subject - the focus stayed with the original, which made the addition of the OOF duck an interesting composition

A great blue heron coming in for a landing atop a small cypress and pond apple island, ibises all around

A fun inclusion for the background - this great blue heron returning to the nest with some sticks was flying through a killbox - photographers boxing him in from both sides!  I thought it was interesting to have a photographer shooting in the background, along with another just watching

As he came closer, I also got a shot of him without the people in the background

When the sun is so low to the horizon, the trees can put you into the shadows even when the sun is still visible higher in the sky - so when this tricolor heron came in very low to land just over the water, I needed ISO 3,200 to catch him

This female anhinga coming in to land was slightly higher up, still in the shadows, but with the sunlit trees in the background

Just a few minutes to sunset, the wetlands were already completely in shadow, but high up, this glossy ibis was catching the last rays of light

Comments, questions, and critique welcomed.

-- hide signature --

galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony SLT-A68 Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +23 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow