6d or d600 for me?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rail2trail Junior Member • Posts: 39
6d or d600 for me?

Dear friends,

No, you haven’t moved back in time! Please bear with me for a moment. I have found two excellent deals and am trying to pick the best for my needs. I’m looking at a new 6d for $840 usd and a used d600 with a prime lens for $700.

I plan to use the camera primarily for landscape photography, and family photos secondly. I carry all my gear by bicycle and photography off trail scenes that are usually pretty remote. The gear will have to survive vibration and a bit of moisture though not necessarily full rain. Very often nightscapes are included.

I’ve handled the 6d in the shop and was quite impressed with it. Controls seemed well organized and the camera falls to hand well. I think the gps will be an asset and I like what I’ve seen wrt to natural looking skin tones.

I’ve looked at flickr and 500px for photographs made in similar conditions and subjects and have found a few things that cause a bit of concern. I’m trying to understand what it is that I’m seeing.

Often photograph of background subjects (mountain range, etc) appears like someone has dipped their finger in Vaseline and traced a thin line on top of background objects.

Are these “sharpening halos”? If so, is there a way to avoid this effect in my image?

Finally, fine texture like porous rock faces and distant trees are often far more contrasty and rough looking compared to what I’m used to seeing with my a6000.

The dpr comparison tool seems to show higher contrast in the 6d’s raw file than the d600, A7and my a6000 which leads me to believe this is “baked in”.

However I do not know if what I’m seeing is greater contrast, greater native sharpening or lower dynamic range or a combination.

By contrast, I was not able to identify “sharpening halos” in d600 images (that I saw) and scenes had a more natural, less contrasty appearance.

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for reading!

Canon EOS 6D Nikon D600 Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow