integrate Macbook Pro into environment with Lightroom Classic CC and 27" iMAC mid-2011

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
caplanner Contributing Member • Posts: 822
integrate Macbook Pro into environment with Lightroom Classic CC and 27" iMAC mid-2011

I currently use a mid-2011 iMAC 27" with Lightroom Classic CC. I just purchased a late 2016 Macbook Pro 15.4 with 16 GB of memory, 512GB SSD and the Radeon 460 with 4GB of memory. I want to tether my Sony A7RII so I've purchased Capture One Version 11 (Sony Pro version). I want to be able to show the pictures to clients and work while on the road. I purchased the 15" so I could potentially get the Topaz Suite which needs the graphics card.

I have a few questions:

I want to take my catalog with me on the road or when I travel and I want to make sure I get good backups of everything.

1. I would like to be able to keep my catalog available for both the macbook and the iMAC. I'll eventually upgrade the iMAC. I plan to purchase an external HD (probably the WD 2TB drive) to keep my catalog on so I can just connect the drive to the iMAC if I want to access it from the iMAC based LR. I've read this is the way to configure it (on a portable drive). Am I missing anything?

2. If that's the right way to do this, what about backing up the portable 2 TB WD drive - can I also purchase a 4TB WD drive of the same family and have time machine back that drive up? Is this the way to get a good backup of my catalog?

I want to use my 27" iMAC as a second/primary display when in the office. I purchased a Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter and a Thunderbolt 2 cable so I can connect the macbook pro to the iMAC. I want to keep the iMAC because the family uses it infrequently.

3. Does anyone have experience doing this - will it work and is there anything else I should be thinking about.

4. I've been looking at the Plugable TBT3-UDV Thunderbolt 3 Single Display Docking Station. Anybody have experience with it and can tell me if it works well?

Thank you.

caplanner's gear list:caplanner's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +13 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow