Inexpensive portrait lighting setup for a beginner?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ahnaf Akeef Regular Member • Posts: 199
Inexpensive portrait lighting setup for a beginner?

Hello everyone.

[Quick pretext: I've always shot portraits in natural light, but never with studio lights. Looking to get into artificial lighting to get more creative shots. Hence the post.]

I need some basic pointers on which and how many strobes, modifier/softbox/umbrella/reflectors, stands, RF trigger etc. I should get in order to start playing around and experimenting with studio portrait lighting. I'm not entirely sure if it's best to start with just one light and get more once I've learned everything about single light portraiture, or just to get two or more to ensure flexibility in creativity from the get-go. Do tell which one you recommend and why.

Two things I should mention: a. I don't want to break the bank right away, and b. I don't want the equipment I buy now to become redundant if I choose to get a more elaborate lighting kit in the near future. So please provide your recommendations accordingly.

Also, I don't have a studio (or the space to hang a backdrop), so any suggestion as to how I can start practicing with these limitations would be appreciated.

Last but not least, tutorials on how to effectively and creatively use a one-light (or two-light) setup would really help as well. I know there's plenty on YouTube, but if you have a favorite that's particularly effective, do link me to it.

Please don't hesitate to ask for more information if necessary. I appreciate your taking the time to help me. Thank you very much.

Ahnaf Akeef's gear list:Ahnaf Akeef's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow