AM4L
OP AM4L Senior Member • Posts: 2,805
More facts on using adapted glass

AM4L wrote:

beatboxa wrote:

AM4L wrote:

beatboxa wrote:

AM4L wrote:

Dude, your not arguing with me lol, just google.. I am just telling it how it is. Just google and search, it’s all out there for you to read and learn about from multiple credible sources. Visit Nikon Rumors, they have new info on the Z mount as well for whatever it’s worth, they seem to have pretty decent accuracy in their Rumors though.

I am accountable for suggesting that the patents and curved sensors might be a precursor to a new mount and that such a new mount would mean adapting your F Mount glass to the new mount and that those with in depth experience with adapted glass might want to go ahead and move on with hopes that the new Mirrorless will use the F mount.

About adapted glass, I have only used optical adapters twice, all the rest are simple spacers, metabones, Kipon, and several others on Fuji, Sony, Panasonic, and Leica Cameras as well as some film cameras. A lot of times one has to try several adapters to find the one that works best. I have had $20 adapters out perform $200 adapters, I have tried so many different adapters, it’s not even funny.

Currently I have Fuji and Leica Mirrorless Cameras in my possession as well as D810, D500, DF and film Cameras. Over 50mm, the adapted lenses tend to work a bit better as you use longer and longer lenses, but they never out perform Nikon F on Nikon F when one pixel peeps.

Just search, you’ll see hundreds of example of soft corners on wide adapted glass and again, just check out the Kolari mod for Sony.

Perhaps maybe it's just that you lack reading comprehension. I can see some hints of this in your incorrect use of "your."

Let me repeat:

• See my earlier post, which clearly debunks your claim that the Nikon mount is designed exclusively for curved sensors, since the mirrorless lens patents are designed for flat sensors--and this is even in picture form.

And

you are conflating adapters across manufacturers with the concept of adapting within a manufacturer. You should learn how to distinguish between causation & correlation; and to learn to distinguish between hearsay (which your conclusions are based on) and direct observation.

Your "just search" and "never out perform Nikon F on Nikon F" (which is not the argument) tells me that you have no evidence that a non-optical adapter within a manufacturer causes worse image quality, that you lack logical abilities since "not out performing" is not the same as "degrading," and that you continue to lack reading comprehension skills.

So you can continue to believe that a patent on mirrorless lenses designed for flat sensors means that Nikon is releasing only a curved sensor mirrorless that will not work well with F-glass. This presumably means that you will never buy one and never use one with F-glass, since doing so would put you in the 'hypocrite' camp. We'll see how it goes.

Your need to change the context of the conversation, demean others is all anyone needs to see.. enjoy your adapted system should you get one. Looking at your posting history, even beyond this thread shows you in a constant state in disagreement also.. mhmm yup.

No--there was no context change. When you repeat false information after it's debunked, display an inability to understand concepts, and speak in absolutes (as you have), then you open yourself up to being called out. Don't blame me because you somehow think that a mount changes the optical properties of either a lens or the sensor stack. The fact that you believe this to be true doesn't make it true. Have a good one.

Just remember, you walked yourself down this path, here is just part of why adapted glass doesn’t work as well, this is from lensrentals.

The sensor stack is a layer of glass that sits in front of the sensor, and contains things like AA and IR filters. It can range from non-existent (in a film camera), to 4mm thick in Micro Four Thirds bodies. And each individual camera maker tailors their lenses to correctly account for the thickness of this piece of glass.

When you mount a lens on an adapter, suddenly the the sensor stack is a wildly different size—which unsurprisingly changes the optical performance (especially with extremely wide apertures).

Since sensor stack size isn't something widely known or discussed, Cicala is now going to be working on pulling together a database of different camera types and their measurements. And hopefully it should allow for more fair and accurate tests between manufacturers—and maybe an explanation as to why that adapted lens doesn't perform quite as well as you would have liked.

All you have to do is google! All the facts are out there for your reading pleasure. There is a lot that goes into lens design to get the best optical performance.. this is even why in part why older F-mount lenses perform differently on digital sensors verses film.

Just google it! 😄

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-kolari-ultra-thin-sensor-stack-modification/

-- hide signature --

MF Lens Website - http://www.NikkorGlass.com - We openly embrace MFNAS!
Favorites @ 500PX - https://500px.com/am4l
Book - www.AM4L.com
Mark

AM4L's gear list:AM4L's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +29 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow