Which camera for quick MF in dynamical settings?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
M_digicapt Senior Member • Posts: 1,323
Re: Shutter lag

rlx wrote:

M_digicapt wrote:

rlx wrote:

M_digicapt wrote:

Just a thought... Have you tried systematically changing settings? Maybe theres a glitch in the software that makes the camera recheck AE or tries to find focus, etc.. since it the problem seems to be with the software maybe something as stupid as changing the metering mode or locking exposure might do the trick...

Does you camera have a shutter release priority mode?

I will try that. That may help shunt a glitch in the software if that is a glitch.

Is shutter release priority mode the same as shutter priority? If not, I don't believe it does.

Are you using shutter priority mode?

Sometimes but by default I use auto-ISO with a minimum shutter speed set depending on the lens. With a 200 mm I would use the fastest option in the menus that is 1/500 s. I have double checked and that has not impact on the lag I experiment with the EVF magnified.

I was referring to this setting my Olympus camera has:

"Rls Priority S

If [On] is selected, the shutter can be released even when the camera is not in focus. This option can be set separately for S-AF (P. 54) and C-AF (P. 54) modes."

I have dowloaded the EM10 manual and I can see that this page describes the behavior for AF lenses. I guess it works the same with legacy lenses.

Another setting:

' LV Close Up Mode[mode1]: Pressing the shutter button halfway cancels zoom.[mode2]: Zoom is not cancelled when the shutter button is pressed halfway.'

I don't have that setting on my XE1. I looked in the XE3 and XT2 manuals and didn't find it there either (I might easily have missed it though).

It also has three modes of locking exposure with manual focus. The second one locks the exposure when the shutter is completely pressed. That may also cause a delay...

Those are XT2 options. I don't have them.

Do you have the 'shooting without lens' turned on? Seems like a stupid question, but I remember reading about a camera that would release the shutter even when this setting is off...

Yes.

If I was you, I'd go systematically through each one of the deep menu settings to see if there's one that fixes the problem...

I think I already did my homework but it is still possible I have missed something.

Good luck.

Thanks. So you don't experiment any abnormal shutter lags from the EM10 when using peaking and magnification, right?

Hi, I haven't received the E-M10 yet... I have an E-PM2, which doesn't have peaking. I use the "Om-D Peaking hack" or magnify, can't use both at the same time... And, I manage just fine by using the techniques on the links below... Still, I'm hoping the E-M10 will be make things easier.

I got curious when you posted your problem and I check all the settings and didn't find any significant lag.

However there have been times when I'm photographing a twitchy bird and the shot doesn't look like what I last saw on the LCD before pressing the shutter, but I'm 95% percent certain the reason is that I forgot two turn off the 1/8 delay to avoid shutter slap.

Since you encounter the problems only when you combine peaking and magnify, you could try these techniques?

Manual focus tele lens techniques with m4/3 for birds and BIF's< check the part were he explains how shoot slow bursts rocking slowly the zoom lever back and forth... If it works with birds, it ought to work in situations like the one you posted....

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/58091516

Angry Photographer: Manual focusing for beginners

https://youtu.be/MH7SuJndJ4g

Please let us know what camera you end up getting and how it works out... 😀

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rlx
rlx
rlx
rlx
rlx
rlx
rlx
rlx
rlx
rlx
rlx
rlx
rlx
rlx
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow