Buying a FM2 (film), what to look for!

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DaniDR Regular Member • Posts: 201
Buying a FM2 (film), what to look for!

Hi!!!

There's no film forum so I posted this here as I believe users of FX Nikons are more prone to know a thing or two about film...

I have a beat up F100 which I was gifted, works decent but is too similar to the big modern SLR's and I prefer something more classic. I decided I want a fully mechanical experience, and decided on a FM2/n, looks good and reliable, and also sports 1/4000 speed which is useful for me sinceI like big aperture lenses and shallow DOF.

I've never bought a film camera, neither a used camera before. What are the things I should look for and test for once I have a candidate in my hands? I believe this will be probably a buy and no warranty transaction so I want to make sure I get something usable. I'll be bringing my own batteries (bought new) to test the meter and also a 50mm 1.2 AI-s lens to test the camera.

Also, any recommended places in NYC to buy one? I was told about K&M Camera, they seem to have a bunch of oldies there, but would like other options in case I don't find a good one.

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow