Having trouble understanding freezing action with studio strobes

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
hollidaykedik New Member • Posts: 12
Having trouble understanding freezing action with studio strobes

Hi,

I've spent hours reading articles and watching youtube videos and I still don't feel like I have a grip on shooting fast moving action - feeling a bit overwhelmed with how much info there is out there, and was wondering if anyone could give me any direct advise on my situation & gear set up!

To give you a bit more info on where I'm coming from, I'm a studio photographer shooting on a Nikon D800 with 2 Bowens XMS750 strobes. I would like to be able to shoot some fast moving elements (ie. objects being thrown, or water splashes, etc) I'm not necessarily after a low aperture - I'm just looking to freeze the movement with either shutter speed or flash duration.

From my research I don't think the XMS range has HSS (I believe the XMT range has) - so am I right in thinking that will eliminate me shooting at anything above 1/250th?

According to the specs of the lights, the flash duration at min & max power is 1/2770s. Apparently it also has a shortest duration of 1/4800s but I'm not sure what I would need to do to enable this.

So am I right in thinking that shooting at 1/250th, the strobe should be firing a flash at 1/2770s? In which case, shouldn't that be pretty good at freezing a lot of action? Also I should mention the strobes are being triggered by the Bowens xmsr remote trigger that came with the lights.

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow