New user / old camera (K100D)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Flat view
Sjak Senior Member • Posts: 1,750
New user / old camera (K100D)

Recently, an orphan found shelter in my closet of camera's: a K100D.

A happy moment actually, since I wanted to have a cam with an OVF for a while already. And I also had read about how wonderfully M42 lenses can be mounted on Pentax-cams.

The 2 kit-zooms also came with the camera, but I am not really a zoom-user, and also do not use AF much on non-compacts.

A few days ago, the M42-PK adapter came in, and finally I could play. I was pleasantly surprised that it immediately asks the focal length of the lens while switching on, although I am not sure how to get the details in the Exif-data as well. Also need to get used to the specifics of the K100D (such as where are the ISO- and shutter-speed-dials etc)

But the camera balances well with the M42-lenses, much better than my Fuji.

One thing I need to keep an eye on is batteries. I got new rechargeable AA's, charged them, put them in the cam. After a bit of fiddling earlier this week, and settng it up today, I could take 3 pictures before the cam signalled the batteries were depleted. So will need to find out whether it's the batteries (and if so, exchange them) or the cam eating away power when not in use. Recommendations on this issue are welcome

The 3 pics I was able to make are nothing really worth posting, so I'll post only one to prove I actually got the cam (shot with a Meyer Optik Görlitz 29mm 2.8, a lens that I still needed to try out too) but the user experience was very positive so far. And the files give plenty of room for editing.

Just realized I already had some stuff from the Pentax-family here: a few Takumar M42 lenses which impressed me a lot (a radioactive 50mm 1.4 and the stunningly good 50mm 4.0 macro, the 1:1 version with double helicoid)

I also bought an old Pentax 40mm 2.8 (the manual focus version), which should be delivered in the next few days.

The back-catalog of lenses from Pentax/Takumar (and other brands in M42&PK-mount) is fascinating, and any suggestions in that respect are always welcome.

In particular, something below (say) 28-30mm and something like a fast 85-100mm would make logical additions to my current M42-arsenal.

Sjak's gear list:Sjak's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Sigma DP2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Leica X1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +12 more
Pentax K100D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow