Metabones for extreme lenses, worth the hassle?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 5,948
Metabones for extreme lenses, worth the hassle?

Yes, this is yet another GAS thread. I tend to get those GAS attacks when I'm feeling creatively bankrupt, so... bear with me

I started wondering. Would it make sense to use Metabones SpeedBooster Ultra to use EF glass on my E-M1 Mark II to get something not possible with native glass? And I do mean for still photography, not video.

Here's the lenses that could be of interest:

• Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 (13-25mm f/1.3) - That could be an amazing low light setup for indoors, events or night-time city walks. Why spend $1300 a piece for Oly 17 and 25 PRO if you can have a zoom like that? < it's not really a question >
  • Sigma 180mm f/2.8 Macro (130mm f/2) - Ok, this might actually be more interesting without speedboosting, but still. There's no native macro this long, and being a fairly long and fast telephoto, it could have other uses as well.
  • Sigma 14mm f/1.8 (10mm f/1.3) - This is the one that kinda makes me drool. I have the Leica 12mm f/1.4 and it's great for astro, but a 10mm f/1.3 would be even better. But I do wonder how well it would behave for stars with a SpeedBooster. 
  • Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 (35-70mm f/1.3) - Woohoo, ultimate portrait zoom

Unfortunately, I have not found much information on how well the Speedbooster Ultra works in practice. I know it's the best focal reducer on the market. I expect that there would be some loss of sharpness in the corners wide open, but how much? And how well would AF work with E-M1 Mark II? I don't expect it to be good for action shooting, but what about accuracy and reliability?

Most of the reviews/articles are for the older model, Sony E version and/or concentrate on video use cases.

Does anyone use Metabones Speedbooster Ultra with EF lenses for still on a regular basis? Is it a workable solution?

Now, I'm pretty sure I will soon get over this GAS phase, but I'm genuinely curious about this topic. I googled quite extensively but didn't really find any definitive answers.

BTW, I do have a Lens Turbo II to play around with legacy lenses, but this is just some cheap stuff for fun.

Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
TRP
M19
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow