How really improved are high ISOs on new cameras

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cummy New Member • Posts: 9
How really improved are high ISOs on new cameras

This is my first posting on this site though I've read for many years, i guess I'm what you can call a 'hide and read' viewer. I need some opinions please.

One of the the big selling points of new cameras is the high ISOs they are capable of reaching. My big question is, are they really worth it? I use low end older gear as this is a hobby for me and not a business and it is already pretty expensive. So are their improvement real or is the improvement really in the JPG engines?

There seems to be a wide range of "acceptable" high ISO usage from 800 to 6400 depending on the format. What then is the value of a 25600 or higher ISO apart from screen viewing?

And finally, what is the oldest used camera that would make for a sensible buy at this time capable of delivering decent 8x10 prints, brand irrelevant and below $1000 USD? I know how subjective this can be but I think the views can lead to a fair average.

I'm an opportunistic hobbyist who does, landscape, clouds (mainly sunsets), animals (no real wild life where I'm from), architecture, macro and mess about with stitching. I avoid people shots as much as possible, way too finicky. Please don't judge my variety I just love to take photos

cummy's gear list:cummy's gear list
Nikon D40X Pentax K-30 Canon EOS Rebel T4i
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
YWG
MOD Labe
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow