How to view iPhone X HEIC file's ISO value?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
noisephotographer Contributing Member • Posts: 524
Re: How to view iPhone X HEIC file's ISO value?

Usually when you send the photos via email in ios, they will be converted to jpgs automatically as far as I know.

I have a Nexus 5x and I compared it (in HDR+ on mode) with the iPhone X indoors. The iPhone X has better skin tones (in particular when you view the photos on the iPhone X display) and occasionally a better white balance indoors. In extreme low light conditions the iPhone X also captures more detail. Though the Nexus can capture more color detail in extreme low light conditions. Apple's HDR Auto nearly never chooses HDR, but you can choose HDR via the settings. Apple's HDR often leads to much better results than HDR off/auto, but even with HDR on, it's often not as good as Google's HDR+: Worse dynamic range ( https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60169228 ) , much slower than the Pixel phones and it leads to more noise in low light conditions than HDR off. Occasionally Apple's HDR also leads to ghosting/artifacts when there are fast movements. With HDR+ this is nearly no issue.

Apple's 2x mode is also very inconsistent. It's impossible to predict when it chooses the first or the second camera. Often it even changes the decision when you choose a different focus point. It often chooses the first camera even when the second camera would have led to more detail. One needs to choose portrait mode. In this case Apple always relies on the second camera. Another issue is that the autofocus is very bad in portrait mode.

As a whole I prefer the Nexus 5x camera because Apple's HDR is too inconsistent. But for portraits the iPhone X is much better. In particular when you choose HDR. You can even edit the bokeh with the fantastic Focos app.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow