Re: D850-PC Image Transfer

Flashlight wrote:

theonetruepath wrote:

Flashlight wrote:

DukeNM wrote:

Flashlight wrote:

Callisto wrote:

Joe Huckleberry wrote:

The D850 comes with a cable, one end looks kind of proprietary (not sure?), the other end is USB. I have been using the cable to transfer files as opposed to buying a XQD reader.

That is a standard USB 3 cable.

Are you sure? My D750 and D7200 have a connector that looks like micro USB but isn't. It's hard to find spares.

-- hide signature --

Philip

Yes, standard USB 3 cable.

Oh, WOW, undoing that strange connector is a great innovation from Nikon, who would've thought. The same manager who is responsible for that should be put in charge of the in-body WiFi protocols; more undoing (Snapbridge) to be done.

-- hide signature --

Philip

The D850 (and the D800 and D810) use a USB 3 micro B connector which is standard. The D750 uses a USB 2 mini B connector which is also standard. You aren't allowed to make up your own connector and then call it a USB cable. You can buy both cables about anywhere that sells more than just USB type A cables. The switch to the USB 3 micro B connector was required when they switched to USB 3 for higher speed. It's basically a USB 2 connector with a USB 3 extension next to it.

Judging by the tone of your reply you're absolutely correct. That said, the micro USB cables I use are the same across about any Android phone available and also things like the Raspberry Pi and a myriad of others.

Possibly there's a lot of other standards you could call 'standard USB 3' but why? I can buy a micro USB cable on any street corner but to get hold of 'A Standard USB Cable Compatible With Either My D750 or D7200' takes a considerable effort, even online.

Is there a significant advantage between the standard USB micro cable and the other 'standard' Nikon is using?

-- hide signature --

Philip

I don't believe so... but I don't think they are deliberately using a 'less common' cable deliberately. I think it's just a tricky design decision. And after building a particular connector in it can become more popular ... or not.

Nikon have used a 'non-standard' USB connector as well, in Coolpix and a few of the DSLRs too, ie the UC-E6 connector, which is probably more common than some of their so-called standard ones: http://connector.pinoutguide.com/8_pin_UC-E6_like-mini-usb_proprietary/

That connector was also used by a whole forest of other manufacturers. I have no idea why any of them would decide to do that.

theonetruepath's gear list:theonetruepath's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow