Help me find a lightweight and efficient Lightroom workflow

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 17,917
Re: Help me find a lightweight and efficient Lightroom workflow

amateursurfphotog wrote:

dj_paige wrote:

amateursurfphotog wrote:

right now my workflow is a mess and the space on my HD is suffering b/c of it.

my process (roughly) is as such:

1. shoot RAW+JPEG

2. insert SD card into laptop

3. use the JPEG file as a sort of "preview"

4. move the files (both RAW and JPEG) i want to work with/keep from SD Card to HD or import into LR directly

5. edit RAW file in LR and export

this leaves me with multiple copies of the "same" file:

a. the original RAW

b. the original JPEG

c. the edited RAW(s) - depending on how many revisions i make

d. the edited JPEG

any advice or insight appreciated

#4 -- import into LR directly. No need for two steps, copy the photos to the HD and then import, when LR does both of these things in one user action.

If you don't want so many copies of a photo, then don't shoot RAW+JPG, shoot RAW only. It is my opinion, and the opinion of at least one other person, that shooting RAW+JPG in Lightroom is just an extra opportunity for mistakes to happen, plus of course it takes up more disk space. And don't edit the JPG, if you have the RAW. Certainly don't export the edited JPG.

If you make multiple revisions of a photo, you don't need to keep the previous exports. Just keep the last one, the Export dialog box allows you to overwrite previous exports. Or if you want to keep several of your edits, use virtual copies in Lightroom, this takes almost no extra disk space.

But also, if you need to export multiple edit revisions of your photo, then this takes up more disk space, and this is NOT a Lightroom issue at all, it would be the same with any other editor.

thanks Paige.

some clarifying questions:

1. if i shoot RAW only, i would only import the RAW into LR and make my edits.

but what do you mean by "certianly don't export the edited JPG"? isn't the ultimate goal to export the edited RAW into a JPG?

lastly, how do i remove previous exports and only keep the latest revisions? is there any type of setting to automatically do this?

You don't remove exports. Your edits are maintained in LR forever unless you delete a file or files. You can delete the history of your edits which which will not effect the final edited version but I would not do that as you lose your original RAW.

Just export your files and don't worry about anything. If you don't need to keep the Jpegs for any further reasons then just delete them.  You can export them again anytime you want to.

thanks!

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow