wedding - beginner questions

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
OP zman2596 Forum Member • Posts: 50
Re: wedding - beginner questions

jkjond wrote:

zman2596 wrote:

KE_DP wrote:

You're welcome - It helps a lot to have seen some of your work... I'm always very hesitant when someone says "beginner" - but you do have some skill, so you are probably ready to try it out. I'd say a 70-200 f4 could work fine for now - especially for outdoor weddings with an eye towards upgrading to the 2.8 if you find you're needing it, or demand increases.

Again it's all about the skill of the shooter, regardless of gear. You should be able to find some weddings to help out on. You'll learn a lot, hit some challenges, and find out just how much physical work it actually is!

Thanks. I totally understand what you mean. We will see how things go. I’m going to keep working on my portfolio and we will see.

The difference between your best shots on instagram and your worst is huge. Your more recent uploads are generally better but you have some with very distracting backgrounds and others with very compromised light. I rarely use a second shooter and when I do I look at their work and have little regard for what kit they use. The kit isn't that important. All it needs to do is deliver an acceptable level of image quality. What counts is the usability of a shot, and if the backgrounds are hopeless and would need hours of correction then a 'free' second shooter would be of no use at all. Say it takes 5 minutes to process an image. Nothing eh? Well multiply that by 300 and you have 25 hrs of post processing to look forward to.

So what I'm saying it concentrate on your craft not your kit. Your current kit is OK. No if you ditched the poor photos and just showed your best, then I'd have no problem in hiring you - after all, we all take absolutely crap photos, especially at weddings. The difference between a good photographer and a bad one is that a good photographer doesn't show their bad shots.

-- hide signature --

Wedding and fine art photographer www.johnleechstudio.co.uk

Thanks for your honest feedback.  I do need to delete some of my worse pictures actually.  I'm working on lighting more and also on backgrounds.  It's hard to critique one's self I've learned.  When I look at my profile, I can tell which pictures are my best.  However, the spread between average and below average is hard to differentiate I think.

zman2596's gear list:zman2596's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow