"Star eating" is a much bigger issue than I thought...

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Zozzka
Zozzka Junior Member • Posts: 47
"Star eating" is a much bigger issue than I thought...

A couple days ago I started a new thread about lacking detail and strange textures on my landscape shots taken with Sony A7r II body.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4244038?page=3#forum-post-60633011

Reading some posts in that thread, I started to suspect the "star eating" algorythm of cleaning out the fine detail of rocks, forests, fields, etc.

I made an absolutely non-professional test to confirm that kind of behaviour, here's the result:

As astrophotographers and pixel-peepers experienced, the rough algorythm works at exposures longer than 3.2 seconds.

It affects the texture of whole image, not just stars a billion light years away. I do not understand the filosophy behind this, as this camera is destined for those who need the highest amount of detail, let's say on a landscape photo.

I think taking 4, 10, 30 exposure is not a rare occasion for landscape photographers, and this aggressive and destructive method can make some of them hesitate to switch to other camera systems...

Here are two other examples of the destruction of spatial filtering.

f/11, ISO64, 59 sec

f/10, ISO125, 20 sec

Does anyone know the behaviour of A7 II body (non R and non S) in this regard? Some people say that the algorythm works only in Bulb mode or Continous Shooting.

Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
osv
osv
osv
osv
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow