Differences between Sony Zeiss 1680 or Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM(C)

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Anders_Nilsson Regular Member • Posts: 350
Differences between Sony Zeiss 1680 or Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM(C)

I have the a77ii and the normal zoom Sony 16/50 2.8. Great combination. Now, for lightweight outings with just the camera and one lens, I've thought about adding the Sony Zeiss 1680 which is available used for about $300 or so (serial starting with 44). But then there's also the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 in it's third generation which seems to get good reviews. Price used in good condition is similar or perhaps a few dollars less than the Sony. f2.8-4 or f3.5-4-5 I don't really care, I've used the 24-85 and 24-105 on FF a lot and the max aperture is fine with me.

So, can someone tell me what are the differences between these two lenses in terms of IQ, AF speed and irritating quirks? I'm probably leaning towards the Sony but I'm not prejudiced against off brands, Sigma seems to have proven their skills with all their "ART" lenses. I understand that either of these probably will not match my 1650 for IQ but that's ok for a travel lens.

Anders_Nilsson's gear list:Anders_Nilsson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Casio Exilim EX-10 Casio Exilim EX-100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a99 +14 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow