Birding and wildlife lens for Nikon D500 - suggestions please

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
Carol Darby Forum Member • Posts: 69
Birding and wildlife lens for Nikon D500 - suggestions please

I am currently using a Sigma 50-500  with my D500. It is the newer version with optical stabilization. I have a generally good focus with well lit subjects with good contrast, including birds in flight. It does struggle a bit when the light is low.

My issue is that the images are not as crisp as I would like. I would call them in focus but they just look a little mushy. I often have a higher iso which of course introduces grain. Distant subjects are often quite soft. Post processing in Lightroom can add sharpness but will often add artifacts as well.

In 2 weeks time I am heading off on a 2 week birding trip. Later in the year I am doing my first trip to Alaska and bears and birds will be the main focus with the long lens (I have a D750 and wider lenses for the stunning landscapes). Coming all the way from Australia is quite an expense so I figure that I would be doing myself no favours to not have the best lens I can get but one that won't break the bank and isn't overly heavy.

In Africa I was lucky enough to get to use a 600mm F4 prime lens. The images were stunning. But that lens is way out of the ballpark re price and weight. Besides I would prefer to have a zoom. I have a friend who shoots Canon and has a 500mm F4. The images are fantastic. But often having the fixed focal length means she misses shots that I get. And it is easier for me to start wide when locating birds in flight and then to zoom in.

I see Nikon is just bringing out a 200-500 F4 with built in converter. It sounds a ripper but at more than $AU18,000 it is not even being considered.

I don't mind paying a decent price for the right lens. Ones being considered at the moment are the Tamron and Sigma (sport and contemporary) 150-600 and the Nikon 200-500 F5.6. Has anyone had experience with any of these lenses and are there any other options worth considering? I want to have a good gain from the 50-500 that I have otherwise I will just stay with what I have. I would have a budget of around $5000 but happy to go higher for the right lens. Not $18,000 though!!!

I hope I can get some good feedback to help me make the right choice.

Thanks Carol

Carol Darby's gear list:Carol Darby's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
Nikon D500 Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow