Hand Held IS with 30 Megapixels?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BlueCosmo5050
BlueCosmo5050 Senior Member • Posts: 1,522
Hand Held IS with 30 Megapixels?

I've been a videographer and then a photographer for quite some time so this sounds like a beginner question; however, it's really just that I've never tested it out.

I'm used to not having lenses with IS, therefore most of my shots in my life have had to be at a fast enough shutter speed. When it came to landscapes, even though it's a wide lens at that point being used, I was always on the tripod because I bracketed all my Landscape shots.

Now the 5D Mark IV has enough DR that I don't feel I have to bracket every single landscape shot and can now take landscapes handheld some, or when I do bracket, just using 3 brackets hand held and not 7 like before.

I am used to using a 24-70 2.8 ii, but today I have purchased the 16-35 F/4 is. This isn't my first wide angle IS lens but it's the first time I'm questioning this practice.

If you see a good landscape at let's say 35mm and you want to shoot it handheld, with something like the 16-35 F/4 IS, what shutter speed would you feel comfortable with handheld? If you were doing a 3 bracketed shot, obviously the shot of the shadows will need to be a slower shutter speed, how far would you go handheld?

I've never had to ask myself this question as I've never really shot Landscapes handheld. Any other type of photo, like a portrait, I'm used to not having IS and I like fast shutter speeds.

BlueCosmo5050's gear list:BlueCosmo5050's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow