Some Macro Shots in a Mexican Deck Garden with the New 80....

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Greg7579
Greg7579 Senior Member • Posts: 4,421
Some Macro Shots in a Mexican Deck Garden with the New 80....

A couple of days ago I climbed up to the roof of my friend's colonial mansion in San Miguel de Allende.  He has some amazing potted cactus and exotic plants up there in a large roof-top deck garden.  I had my XT-2 on a RRS travel tripod with the 80 mounted.

The wind was blowing a bit so I had to wait till the plants were not moving around as much.  I shot at closest focus range or just slightly under -- some true macro -- some just under.

I set the lens at F22 because with flowers and stems the sliver of focus at F2.8 is so slim that only the exact focus point is clear -- the rest is severe blur.  At F22 the focus is much deeper but still a challenge without focus stacking techniques.  You macro guys know this....  At F22 diffraction of course kicks in heavily and effects fine detail bit is a trade-off at macro ranges.

The light was natural sunlight with the sun at about 45% up from horizon behind me or off to an angle.  I shot into it a couple of times.

I would have loved to have had a TTL ring light like I had with my Canon system and 90 macro, but Fuji has failed to provide us a macro TTL ring light....

There are two images in here that were shot a second apart -- one at F2 and one at F2.8.  You can see the dramatic difference in DOF and the effect on the image....  I like both.

-- hide signature --

Greg Johnson, San Antonio, Texas
https://www.flickr.com/photos/139148982@N02/albums

F22 - Compare focus falloff and bokeh to the F2.8 same shot below....

F2.8.  Compare the bokeh and focus falloff to the F22 shot above.....

F22.  Compare it to the F2.8 same shot below....

This one at F2.8.  Look at the focus falloff compared to the above F22 shot....

Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm Fujifilm X-T2 +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow