Recommendations for cheap(ish) 50mm with good bokeh?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Flat view
Dadadan New Member • Posts: 2
Recommendations for cheap(ish) 50mm with good bokeh?

My first post and sorry if it's been discussed before. I am after recommendations for a 50-60mm len with really nice bokeh. I will use it on a Fuji XT-1. I know bokeh is subjective so to give you some idea I think the Fuji FX 56mm/1.2 has fantastic bokeh - but I can't afford it. Also, the Minolta MC Rokkor 58mm/1.2 - but I can't afford that either. I currently have an Olympus OM 50mm/1.4 but I think the bokeh is a bit harsh and busy, and a Minolta MC Rokkor-PF 55mm/1.7 which I really like and think has much better (smoother, creamier) bokeh than the Olympus. While I really like using the Rokkor I am also keen to try some a different lens that can perhaps give me even better bokeh or at least equal it while producing a different look.

I don’t mind using manual focus legacy lenses (they are challenging but satisfying when it works out) and my major constraint is how much I am willing to pay. I would like recommendations for lenses that I can get for under $250, ideally quite a lot under! I prioritise good bokeh over sharpness (that’s why I am happy with the MC Rokkor-PF 55mm/1.7), but if I could have both that would be great. The lens does not have to be fast, but again that would be a bonus as it would allow me to take photos in a wider range of conditions.

I have not used many different types of lenses and am keen to have recommendations that fit my criteria from the experienced photographers and lens collectors on this forum.

There are a few lenses that I have read about that might fit my criteria but I would like opinions about them from people who have used them. These lenses include:

Minolta MC Rokkor-PF 50mm/1.7

Minolta MC or MD Rokkor 50mm/1.4

Minolta MC Rokkor 58mm/1.4

Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50mm/1.8

Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm/1.7

Jupiter-3 50mm/1.5

I must admit that I do like the look of photos from the Super Takumar 50mm/1.4 but I am not prepared to have a radioactive lens in my house as I have a young child (no matter how many people say it is not dangerous). Did they produce a non-radioactive version?

What other lenses should I consider that I have not mentioned?

Thanks for your help.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow