Keep or Replace

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jmeyersnv
jmeyersnv Forum Member • Posts: 66
Keep or Replace

Okay, so I am going crazy. I purchased the Sony E 18mm-105mm power zoom lens last month, and it is still returnable. Today, I visited the Sony booth at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas and spoke with one of the Sony camera experts about their new E 18mm-135mm zoom lens. He confirmed everything others have stated in this forum: the new zoom lens is sharper in the center and corners, with less distortion; it is lighter and smaller. I asked about the G vs. no G, to which he responded that five years ago the IQ of the 18mm-105mm lens warranted that designation, but it does not deserve a G when applying today's higher quality standards.

Here is my issue -- historically, I've rarely shot videos, but in the future I might start now that I have also purchased a new A6500.  To date, almost everything I've done has been still photography.  I don't print larger than 11"x14", and most of my shots are viewed either on a 15" notebook computer or a 65" TV. While the new lens is lighter, I can handle the weight of the older one.  Should I keep the 18-105 lens for its power zoom capability and constant f4.0 (both desirable for video) or return it and get the new lens because its IQ is expected to be so much better?  I mean, should its superior lens attributes be all that more noticeable in pictures taken by an amateur like me?

-- hide signature --

J Meyers

jmeyersnv's gear list:jmeyersnv's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a6500 Sony 35mm F1.4 G Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow