24-105 sharper than 35 1.4 at f4

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
Jacimi Regular Member • Posts: 106
24-105 sharper than 35 1.4 at f4

i shot some comparison pics on tripod with stabilization off using FE 16-35 f4, FE 24-105 f4 and new from B&H FE 35 1.4

i shot all lenses at all full stops aperture of same indoor scene and carefully swapped lenses without changing camera position.

I thought the 16-35 was sharp but the 105 blows it away in sharpness and color. The color of the 1.4 is amazing

I am also trying to determine if i got a good copy of the 1.4

seems to me the 1.4 stopped down to f4 should give razor sharp images to the corners and beat the 105 but that is not what i see.  Ive attached pics of each lens at 35mm f4 and would appreciate second opinions. Also attach f1.4, f2, and f2.8 pics from the 1.4

Focus for each is on center of the middle pillow

i also shot all lenses with focus on the right and left pillows as well but not attached

to my untrained eye, the 1.4 focus plane looks flat on left and middle but curves towards camera strongly on right side, looking at the rulers i placed on floor

Please let me know what you think of the 1.4 performance, im not happy and thinking i will send back for exchange

all processed in DXO with no corrections applied except white balance made same for all pics.

Thanks for your help

Jacimi's gear list:Jacimi's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 35mm F1.4 +2 more
Flat
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
osv
osv
osv
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow