Astrophotography issues with M43 Camera

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Flat view
systemic_anomaly New Member • Posts: 4
Astrophotography issues with M43 Camera

Hi guys,

I travel a lot and got tired of lugging my old APS-C canon, so I switched lock, stock and barrel to Micro 4/3. The reason I'm posting is to ask those with astrophotography experience with this format, about an issue I see with all of my night-time shots. Basically I dont know if this is a camera issue, settings issue (I'm a astro-newb) or something else I dont know about.

These images are a crop from a shot I took of my jeep in pitch dark. Specs are as follows:

GX85, 20mm f1.7 lens wide open aperture, 60 second exposure, ISO 1600, RAW.

This is the RAW image from the camera, converted uncorrected to JPG:

And this is the same image de-noised with DxO Optics Pro 11, which used to give excellent results with my APS-C canon.

What are those white dots in the dark areas? I can't seem to get rid of them! Is the exposure too long, ISO too high or low, or is the body crap and I need to claim warranty on it? I would certainly appreciate some light shed on this issue, I really love this M43 setup otherwise.

This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow