Picked up a Pen-F. Much better than I expected.

Started 2 months ago | User reviews thread
Flat view
SamKnopf Regular Member • Posts: 416
Picked up a Pen-F. Much better than I expected.

When the Pen-F came out, I was skeptical about the design and value.  I didn't care for the fact that Olympus left out a built-in grip for the sake of retro design to make it look like a Pen film camera from 50 years ago.

However, I was offered a mint condition used one at an irresistible price (CDN $900), so I picked it up, and now I am very glad I did.  It grows on you quickly, and it is becoming my favorite camera.

It is just the ideal size and weight for my taste, just what M43 should be.  Big enough for a decent viewfinder (compared to my GM5) but still quite small, and capable of fitting in a jacket pocket with a pancake lens.  I like the fact that the menu is similar to tge E-M5 that I'm used to.

I have discovered that the retro style protrusion on the front is not as useless as I expected.  I've stuck a bit of foam padding onto it.  It's not as good as a real grip, but the second finger of my right hand fits nicely on it to hold the camera.

One unforeseen bonus that I really appreciate is that I finally have a camera with an ISO dial.   I have always wanted that, and had been amazed that almost all cameras leave it off and make you go into the menus or at least first push a button to change ISO.    The Pen-F has a dedicated compensation dial.  It lets you customize the rear and front dials to whatever you want, including ISO.   That is terrific.  I have two other cameras with a dedicated comp dial, the Panasonic GX8 and the Sony A7.   In spite of that, they don't let you customize the other dials to ISO, so you end up with two compensation dials.  Not very useful.  Bravo to Olympus for getting this right.

SamKnopf's gear list:SamKnopf's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony a6000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +1 more
Olympus PEN-F
20 megapixels • 3 screen • Four Thirds sensor
Announced: Jan 27, 2016
SamKnopf's score
Average community score
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony Alpha a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow