Photographing Art for Reproduction

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Flat view
GlimpseUK New Member • Posts: 10
Photographing Art for Reproduction

Hi, new member so please go easy and excuse my lack of knowledge!

I have a picture framing business and reproduce quite a lot of photos and art for customers. I use an Epson V550 for smaller stuff, and can "stitch" scans together for bigger items but it's not very practical.

I'd like to invest in a set up to photograph artists' work (larger paintings, oils, print, collages etc) but only have a basic understanding of photographic equipment. I have an aging Canon DSLR but it's nowhere near high enough resolution, so needs replacing.

I've done a bit of research, but would welcome any advice from people who have done this sort of thing. I come from a print/design background, so have a good understanding of colour repro etc, so if I can get the right equipment, I should (I hope!) be able to achieve reasonable results. I understand that cross polarising would be beneficial, so I'd like to choose equipment that would work well for this.

So, main questions are:

• Is there any benefit with a full-frame for this type of work? Or would I be better spending the money on the lens?
• Is a 50mm prime the best lens for this job?
• What type of lighting would be best for cross polarising filters?

Any other advice would be hugely appreciated!

Many thanks in advance...

Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow