Sigma 16mm 1.4 focus issue at A2.0 - interesting discoveries

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gkstar Regular Member • Posts: 376
Sigma 16mm 1.4 focus issue at A2.0 - interesting discoveries

Two more ways to avoid AF-S missing focus at 2.0 aperture.

While searching on this issue, I stumbled upon a review on the German Amazon site which captured the following rather fascinating observation, which I tested over the last hour and confirmed to be true.

AF-S auto-focus at apertures 2.0 and 2.2 is always spot on if you.......... use the screen while focusing as opposed to the view finder !

I cannot wrap my mind as to why this is the case. For one, view finder power consumption is a bit higher than the screen perhaps power starving the lens mechanisms (unlikely). Perhaps the Eye AF, which should not kick in with E-mount lenses, interferes somehow...

Now, here is my own discovery. Setting "Live View Display" to "Setting Effect Off" in the main menu also completely eliminates this focus issue. I cannot make sense out of this either.

I hope Sigma and Sony are both aware of this phenomena as they may be key to resolving the issue.

gkstar's gear list:gkstar's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS LE Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow