Should I move to m4/3 from my D7000?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Devvy Regular Member • Posts: 235
Should I move to m4/3 from my D7000?

I have owned a lot of Nikon DSLRs in the past 1.5 years since I decided to move to more serious gear. Currently I own the D7000 together with the 18-105 VR lens and the 35mm 1.8. (plus two series E primes - 50 and 100.)

I absolutely love the way the camera works and in general, I like the quality of the pictures. However, what bothers me is the accuracy of the AF, esp. with brighter lenses. In practice, critical shots indoors are mostly taken using the slow live view mode.

Another thing is the fact that manual focussing with the 50mm prime@1.8 is quite hard; also here the best results are obtained when using live view and magnification. The D7000 does not offer focus peaking.

Now, I have a kind of decent offer for a mildly used OM-D EM10 mark II. My question is: will my AF problems be solved when switching to this camera? I don't use continuous AF, so I am just talking about single shot, single point AF.

I calculated that switching platforms is possible without losing too much money, although there is no good alternative for the 18-105 (which I love). I bought all my stuff second hand. The 35mm 1.8 can be replaced by the panasonic 25mm 1.7, the old primes I will keep and buy an Nikon AI to m4/3 adapter. I guess I'll have to live with the/a 14-42 kit lens as a replacement for the 18-105.

Am particularly interested in stories of people that made a similar move. I like the speediness and readiness of the D7000, it is a solid tool. I don't expect 100% the same from the olympus, but am just wondering if the many advantages the oly offers weigh up against the negatives.

Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow