A B C's of Flash. Absolute Beginner. Have a few questions.

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Gankstafresh New Member • Posts: 10
A B C's of Flash. Absolute Beginner. Have a few questions.

Hi all,

I've been taking pictures for years now, but I've always utilized natural/available light for my shots. It's time to start using flash.

I'm asking these seemingly simple questions because the talk on this forum is too advanced and skips the most basic stuff.

I have: Nikon d810 and Speedlight SB-5000

a.) How do I connect my d810 to my speedlight remotely?

b.) When in TTL mode, is the exposure compensation button on my camera effectively the flash compensation button when the speedlight is mounted?

c.) When in M mode on speedlight, how do you control brightness? Do you change the f stop number? What if the f stop number on the speedlight doesn't match the one on the camera?

d.) kind of piggybacking on the last question here - if I just want to make the picture brighter, should I change the settings on the camera to shrink aperture, or do I change something on the speedlight?

e.) in the speedlight menu, there are a few options under mode. What is GN and RPT?

I just really have no idea how to use a speedlight and I just need a comprehensive and simple explanation.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Cheers!

Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow