Geminid Composite with Sigma 14mm f/1.8 Art

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
t_wade Contributing Member • Posts: 963
Geminid Composite with Sigma 14mm f/1.8 Art

To all,

I finally completed the first of several composites I'll be generating from images taken during the Geminid Meteor Shower of 2017.  As others have noted, it was an awesome show, and I was very lucky to have a clear enough sky to enjoy it.  The Sigma 14mm f/1.8 Art lens is an awesome lens.  It takes second place in my list of favorite meteor photography lenses.  This composite image includes 173 meteors.  I'm hoping it's not too busy.  Hopefully, it gives you a glimpse of how many meteors were falling from the sky that night.  I used a Canon 1DX at ISO 1600.  Each image was 15 seconds.  The lens was stopped down to f/2.0 to improve vignetting.

This was a very difficult and tedious composite to create as the corner distortions were a pain.  I'm hoping I got the meteors lined up close enough.  I may adjust a few here in there in the future, but at this time I'm tired of messing with it.  I must have spent 40+ hours generating this composite.

The town left of center is Ukiah, Oregon.  The three bright areas farther to the right are burning "burn piles".  They must have used a lot of gasoline to start these fires as the temperature was hovering around 12F (-11C).

Thanks for looking,

Wade

2017 Geminid Meteor Shower composite

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow