Best two lens setup for landscapes

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Craig NC
Craig NC Contributing Member • Posts: 650
Re: Best two lens setup for landscapes

Verland wrote:

Hello all, my first post here. I look for advise.

I want to carry not more than two lenses on my trips and I prefer lightweight. I already have the 16-35, which I love, and the kit lens, which usually leaves me wonder if something is wrong with that lens (almost never really sharp).

Edit: My cameras are the A7 and A5100.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Like you, I use the 16-35 f4.  I currently use the cheap 50mm, which is very sharp stopped down.  On the negative side, I would say that it misses focus more often than any of my other lenes.  It’s rare for my other lenes to missfire, but I would say it happens enough to be annoying on this lens - even in situations with plenty of light.

if you just get the 50mm, you are missing some great landscape opportunities in the mid telephoto range.  I have tried the kit28-70, 24-70 f4, and the 24-240.  I found them all too much of a compromise, with poor edge performance even stopped down at most any fl.  The new 24-105 sounds like it is going to be an improvement over all 3 of these options and give good edge performance, at least stopped down.  I am looking forward to trying it out and replacing my 50mm and possibly leaving my 70-300 at home sometimes.

Craig NC's gear list:Craig NC's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow