Best two lens setup for landscapes

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Verland Regular Member • Posts: 108
Re: Why just 2 for landscapes?

ZodiacPhoto wrote:

If you insist on just 2 lenses, then 12-24 f/4 and 24-105 f/4 will certainly do the trick. Problem solved.

I know, it's a good setup. Just a bit on the heavy side. And I think for that 24-105 I will need a heavier tripod, too. Right now I use a really compact 500 g tripod (please don't laugh).

Now, ask yourself, why do you limit yourself to just 2 lenses.

If you simply hate changing lenses, then go back to my original answer. Or get a Sony RX10 IV

Noo, I need full frame quality

And yes, I hate changing lenses.

If you prefer to minimize the weight you carry, keep reading. Usually you have time to swap lenses when doing landscapes, anyway.

The 2 lenses above weight 565g + 663g = 1,228g.

A combination of Batis 18mm f/2.8, Sony 28mm f/2, Sony 50mm f/2.8 Macro, and 85mm f/1.8 weights: 330+200+236+371=1,137g.

When closed to f/5.6 or smaller for landscapes, their image quality will be the same or better than the zooms. At the same time, you have a perfect Low Light, Macro, and Portrait combo - something you won't get from the zooms.

Yes, not bad. I understand the benefits of primes. Maybe I should reconsider my focus on zooms. Maybe I can get used to changing lenses often. But 18 mm is not wide enough for me.

Verland's gear list:Verland's gear list
Sony a5100 Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow