Not that it matters to anyone - but I borrowed an M100...

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 19,768
Not that it matters to anyone - but I borrowed an M100...

...the other day from a friend at the gymnasium that we frequent. We were pumping some heavy iron and this guy I work out with remarked that he knew I was big into digital photography. He said that based on a recommendation, he purchased a camera called the "Canon M100" for his wife, who's birthday is coming up the beginning of February. That obviously piqued my interest in what he was saying.  Please read on...

Then he asked me that since he has no clue about anything digital, if I wouldn't mind just "testing" the camera out to make sure everything works so that when he gives it to his wife, there won't be any surprises. Needless to say I replied with a quick, yet firm, "no problem, I'll gladly do it."

So the next time I saw him at the gym, he had the new box with him. Alright, so after taking it home - making sure I was as careful as possible - I set up the camera. Now if you can recall, I've been singing the praises of the M10 due to its relative simplicity, yet sterling IQ. Well, I've got to admit that this M100 takes my admiration for the previous M10 to a much higher level. Sure, on the surface it looks like a very simple camera - but menu-wise, there are many options and once setup, the camera is a delight to shoot with. And the cleaner high ISO capabilities were one of the things that caught my attention.

There are no pictures worth posting because I was shooting around my home - taking random shots of just about anything. But I will say that the M100 is causing me to reevaluate my previous exclamations about not purchasing any more M bodies until Canon gets their "sh_t" together with regards to releasing more EF-M lenses. So I fell in love with the M100.

But my dilemma now is this - that I have 2 extra copies of the 18-55, and one extra copy of the 15-45. I don't want to dish out the money again to wind up with another 15-45 that automatically comes as the kit to the M100. I wish they sold the body separately like you now see the M10 being sold as on various sites (i.e. eBay). Will have to work this one out. I'll figure it out though.

All I know is that the M100 is a unique, exceptionally simple to use M series camera with stellar IQ - and the fun factor, I'd say, rates at about 110%. Now before anyone replies about JPG settings, etc., I don't shoot in JPG - I shoot purely in RAW with all of my cameras.

And oh yes, before I forget, the camera worked just fine and I returned the camera setup promptly to the guy who purchased it for his wife. Now I'm a bit frustrated because I shouldn't have agreed to test out his M100 as I need another camera like a hole in the head! But the camera changed my mind - yeah, that's the rationale that I'll use when I finally get one. Sigh...

OK - I'm done.

-- hide signature --

Sincerely,
Bernd ("Ben") Herrmann
Fuquay Varina, North Carolina USA

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Fujifilm X10 Samsung EX2F Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +33 more
Canon EOS M100 Leica M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow